It's that time of the year again for you to prepare for the NPPO Annual Report to Congress. Are you ready? Here's the original message from NPPO and also their attached worksheet. Good Luck!
We will be holding several training sessions highlighting errors to avoid in the Annual Report. We found the NPCs with the most errors last year did not attend the training, so please plan to attend one of the sessions. We will hold them over two weeks, one am, one mid-day and one late afternoon. June 1st is on a Saturday this year, so the deadline will be extended until June 3, 2019. Early submissions are greatly appreciated.
Attached please find the 2018 NPC Annual Report Template. Please submit this form and the other required documents by email to email@example.com by June 3, 2019. Our timeline to submit this is mid-August, so we really need your report by June 3, 2019. Your cooperation in carefully reading the following submission instructions will be greatly appreciated:
- The subject line of the submission email should be titled: “Name of your city, state – NPC Annual Report for 2018.”
- The documents attached to the email should be:
- NPC Annual Report Form – please title the document as “Name of your city, state – NPC Annual Report for 2018”
- Form 990 – please title the document as “Name of your city, state – Form 990 for 2018”
- Audited financial statements – please title the document as “Name of your city, state – Audited Financials for 2018”
- Audit Management Letter (letter from auditors, if any) – please title the document as “Name of your city, state – Audit Management Letter (from Auditors) for 2018”
Please do not send us copies of any letters that you have written to your auditors.
We only want copies of letters that your auditors have written to you. Also, please
submit files that are not password protected.
Please keep in mind that your NPC must have an audit done by an independent outside auditor if your annual revenues are $500,000 or more. If your NPC’s revenues are between $100,000 and $500,000 for the year, then an audit by an independent outside auditor is required only every three years. Those NPCs with revenues less than $100,000 a year do not need to have audits by independent outside auditors.
Common errors to be avoided are:
- Not labeling your documents as specified above.
- Total revenues and total expenses amounts shown on Tab 4 do not agree exactly with the amounts for revenues and expenses shown on page 1 of the Form 990.
- The net assets amount shown on Tab 6 does not agree with the net assets amount shown on page 1 of the Form 990.
- The amount of government funding received on Tab 4 should equal or exceed the total of the amount entered on Tab 7 for governmental funding sources greater than $25,000.
- The amount of non-governmental funding received should equal or exceed the total of the amount entered on Tab 8 for non-governmental funding sources greater than $25,000.
- Identifying non-governmental funding sources as being from universities when in fact they are from Federal sources. Please identify the Federal sources and show the amounts on Tab 7 for governmental funding sources greater than $25,000.
- Not listing payments to employees greater than $50,000 on Tab 9. Please de-identify the employees listed using an employee number or other number.
- Not listing at least three accomplishments for your NPC on Tab 10. Please keep your “accomplishments” succinct, 20 words or less.
- Not showing any payroll taxes paid on Tab 5, Line 10.
- 10. Not listing Management and General expenses on Tab 5, Column (C).
- 11. Not filing the Single Audit Reports along with the audited financial statements if a Uniform Guidance audit is required.
- 12. Filing letters you have written to your auditors. We are only interested in having copies of letters from your auditors back to you regarding audit findings, recommendations, deficiencies, and material weaknesses, if any.
- 13. Breaking up a report into more than one file. We must have one file for each report.
- 14. Submitting password protected files. We must be able to open, read, and, if convenient for us, be able to print the documents you are submitting.
If you have any questions about how to properly complete the 2018 NPC Annual Report, please contact Allan Krehbiel at 301-569-3847 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance for submitting your 2018 NPC Annual Report by June 3. Your cooperation in making a timely filing will be greatly appreciated and is necessary to meet the deadlines set by the Secretary and the U.S. Congress.2018 NPC Annual Report Template - Rev. 1-02-18.xls