The FY18 Defense Appropriation provides $5 million (M) to the Department of Defense Lupus Research Program (LRP) to support innovative and impactful research that addresses fundamental issues in lupus. As directed by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, the Defense Health Agency, J9 Research and Development Directorate manages the Defense Health Program (DHP) Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) appropriation. The managing agent for the anticipated Program Announcements/Funding Opportunities is the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC).
FY18 LRP Program Announcements and General Application Instructions for the following award mechanisms are posted on the Grants.gov website.
Applications submitted to the FY18 LRP must address at least one of the three Focus Areas listed below:
• Understand lupus disease heterogeneity including, but not limited to, progressive stages of lupus disease over time, strategies and technologies to subtype patients, lupus disease mechanisms, biopsychosocial studies, personalized medicine, variation in treatment and its effects on patient outcomes, socioeconomic studies, environmental studies, and epidemiological studies.
• Understand how the underlying genetic components and gene environment interactions of lupus disease relate to clinical disease characteristics using functional genomic studies.
• Determine the pathobiology of lupus in target human tissues including, but not limited to, imaging studies, genomics of lupus disease in particular tissues, and metabolomics and how understanding the underlying pathobiology will improve quality of life of patients.
Concept Award – Letter of Intent due October 10, 2018
Investigators at all academic levels
· Supports highly innovative, untested, potentially groundbreaking concepts in lupus research
· Emphasis is on innovation
· Clinical trials are not allowed
- Preliminary data is not required
· Maximum funding of $150,000 for total costs
- Maximum period of performance is 1 year
Impact Award – Letter of Intent due October 10, 2018
Investigators at or above Assistant Professor (or equivalent)
· Supports innovative, high-risk/high-reward research
· Emphasis is on impact
· Clinical trials are not allowed
- Preliminary data is encouraged but not required
· Maximum funding of $525,000 for total costs
- Maximum period of performance is 3 years
A pre-application (Letter of Intent) is required and must be submitted through the electronic Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) at https://eBRAP.org prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final Program Announcements and General Application Instructions available for electronic downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRMC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using CFDA Number 12.420.
For email notification when Program Announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage at https://eBRAP.org. For more information about the LRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (http://cdmrp.army.mil).
Point of Contact:CDMRP Help Desk